For the college essay, I recommend the following:
- Do share a quality about yourself that you want the admissions officers to know about you that won't be found in other parts the applicatio.
- Do put yourself in the best light possible.
- Do think reflect on an experience and how you responded to it when writing your essay.
- Do be sure your essay answers the prompt.
- Do be yourself in your essay. This is your time to share who you are with the admissions office.
- Don't make your essay about listing achievements.
- Don't use inappropriate language in your essay.
- Don't feel like you have nothing to share with the admissions committee because you haven't cured diseases, lived through a trauma or started a school in another country. You have just as much to share about who you are and what makes you ho you are.
- Don't put off writing your essay until the last moment. Give this process the time it needs to be done write.
- Don't forget that you are the owner of your essay. Others may help you and give you advice, but this essay is yours and it is about you.