Independent Educational Consultant
Dedicated in understanding the needs of the students and their families, Karen is determined to guide every student to the best fit college.
|6 minutes (SixFree Call)||$0 (No charge)|
Inspired by her experience of working with students in the classroom, Karen saw the need to help students fulfill their potential in utilizing their creativity, enthusiasm and curiosity. Karen enjoys working with students and guide them to explore the right fit college and career direction.
After over a dozen years of working in the marketing research and analysis field, Karen earned her expertise in active listening, thorough understanding customers' needs, and delivering quality analysis results. Her research background enables her in searching for the right colleges from variety of resources. With marketing experience, Karen has well qualified skills to advise students on how to best represent themselves to the target schools as well as to the world through positive social media on-line presence.
Through attending national conferences and joining professional organizations such as HECAC and WACAC, Karen is well connected with other college counseling and admission colleagues. She frequently visits colleges and has gained first-hand knowledge about the people, atmosphere, and environment of these schools. With strong belief in equal education opportunities among all young people regardless social or economic background, Karen volunteers at Breakthrough Silicon Valley, a non-profit organization which fosters under-served students to get in and graduate from colleges. She mentors students in budget planning for college.
Karen has a Certificate of Independent Educational Consultant from UC Irvine Ext. She also holds degrees in Bachelor of International Law from China Foreign Affairs University and Master of Economics from Mankato State University, MN.
Independent Educational Consultant
January 2015 - present
- Guide students in college application process to get in the right colleges
- Advise students in career and major study direction through scientifically proven assessment tool
- Assist students in coursework mapping, test planning and extracurricular choices
- Teach families on financial aid and scholarship search to get free money
- Help students build a college list based on prioritized criteria and probabilities
- Coach students in essay writing to best present their unique selves
- Conduct mock interview with students to improve their communication skills
- Encourage students to gain confidence, grow independence and discover their true passion
Sr. Marketing Analyist
LifeScan (a Johnson & Johnson Company)
February 2002 - March 2015
- Conducted international market analysis
- Analyzed data-mining and promotional effects
- Designed and managed sales performance and health plan databases
- Worked with IT and sales force to automate reporting system
May 2016 - present
Breakthrough Silicon Valley (Education)
February 2015 - present
Mentor high school students in college budget planning, personal financial management, and other aspects in college planning.
Volunteer in College Counseling
Cristo Rey Jesuit High School (Education)
February 2017 - present
Help students in college planning.
I have Asian and non-Asian heritage, should I de-emphasize my Asian heritage during the application process?
I was taking a test prep course and they told us that students of Asian heritage need 200 points higher on the SAT, on average, to get admitted to top schools. I don't know if that's true but I have Asian and non-Asian heritage. Should I de-emphasize my Asian heritage in my college application? Hope to hear from you ASAP.